Fire Alarm Designer - Remote (Job ID 2013847)
Broadview Heights, Ohio
Category Information Technology
At ADT, we’ve been in the business of helping save lives for more than 145 years. As the number one smart home security provider serving residential and business customers, our people are our most important asset. Headquartered in Boca Raton, FL and at more than 200 locations across North America, our employees help empower our customers to live more secure and confident lives. Join our team and help us protect what matters most. For more information, visit www.adt.com or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram.
- Must be able to establish and maintain strong relationships throughout the design, estimating and sales cycle with Sales and Operations.
- The System Designer II is responsible for the design of ADT Fire Alarm and Life Safety Systems in accordance with local, county, state, and national codes and standards while following sales and operations protocols.
- Receive project specifications, RFPs, bid documents, and plans from National, Enterprise, and Core Commercial sales representatives to design and layout the appropriate code compliant system and product mix. Provide scope of work, product selection, installation means, best practices and most cost effective solution to produce code compliant system layouts.
- Represent NFLST (National Fire & Life Safety Team) as a fire design technical resource to sales and operations team members.
- Participate in national account, sales and operations meetings to evaluate accuracy of the sales estimate and job layout as required.
- Support national account and field sales organization in the design and layout of ADT Commercial fire alarm and life safety systems.
- Design small, medium and large building fire alarm, voice evacuation, networked fire alarm, high-rise, smoke control, mass notification, emergency radio responder coverage systems, VESDA air-sampling smoke and gas detection. Analyze plans, construction contract specifications and codes to determine project requirements and risks.
- Organize system layout by design and prepare the necessary documents required including drawings need for permits:
- select proper types, sizes, quantities of products to meet project requirements
- prepare all information on pre-installation extras or change orders to submit to customer or general/ subcontractor
- prepare as-built documentation as required
- Prepare engineering re-design and/or estimate while working with appropriate sales and operations management to assure understanding of and satisfaction with job scope.
- Ability to manage a heavy work load that often changes in scope and discipline.
- Ability to adapt to changing work environment, delays or unexpected events, team members is various experience and background knowledge; Manage competing demands; Adapt approach and/or methods to best fit the situation.
Education and Experience:
- 5-10 years engineering fire alarm and life safety systems or other related experience. Strong knowledge of industry engineering fundamentals and business operations required.
- Profciency and understanding in fire alarm and life safety system programming, job start-up, checkout, and troubleshooting preferred.
- Ability to manage a varied and heavy workload and set priorities.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, delays or unexpected events; manage competing demands; change approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Travel 10% or less (specific to training or project related items)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, word processing, spreadsheet, project management, and AutoCAD required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Fully proficient and independent design skills.
- Able to design medium to large jobs with deviation from standard tools, products or practices as needed.
- Ability to read schematic and/or construction plans is required.
- Strong organizational and self-motivated skills with a professional attitude.
- Constant use of discretion and problem analysis.
- Frequent use of judgment and independent action.
- Understands process of construction projects and the requirements to document all changes or deviations to specifications.
- Knowledge of network communications technology.
- Ability to work remotely in an effective and efficient manner.
- Associates degree in Electronics or other technical field or equivalent experience preferred.
- NICET III or IV Fire Alarm Certification preferred; NICET II Fire Alarm Certification required. (CFPS, PE, FPE a plus)
- Must have previous experience in commercial life safety system design.
ADT Commercial LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce and do our best to foster a culture and environment where every employee feels valued. Our goal is to serve our customers and help save lives. We can achieve this goal when we have the best talent working in an environment where employees feel included and recognized. Visit us online at jobs.adt.com to learn more.